Thursday 6 December 2012

Top Pieces of Art


Ironwork designed by Gaudi



Gaudi is a major inspiration of mine and this is why he features in my top pieces of art. I love Gaudi’s metalwork. I looked at it when I was completing a previous assignment. I got the privilege of going to Barcelona and experiencing his work first hand- photos just don’t do it justice!
Gaudi managed to make a cold heartless material such as metal and make it into organic shapes with sinuous lines. I really like the curves he creates in the metal as they create interesting shadows. I like how he just used one metal and was true to form, as he didn’t cover it in enamels or decorations. His work was so elaborate it didn’t need decorations.
The photo on the right is of an ironworking on Palau Guell and was created by Joan Oñós in 1889. Gaudi designed the metal work but worked closely with other artists to create the masterpieces. Some pieces, such as the photo on the left, he created himself after learning the various techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment